Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Having a birthday in December usually means you get shafted…



I am probably writing this a few weeks ahead of time seeing as my birthday is on December 20th  and its not technically even December yet but it’s the same old story every year. With my birthday so close to Christmas it usually means 2 things: 

1 – I get a whole whack load of presents in December (thanks Mom! You never let me down) 
and 2 – A lot of people won’t be able to make it to my birthday party. Sad Panda.

When I was younger and in school everyone was already on holidays when my birthday rolled around. And now as I get older and make grown up friends, they are usually “gone back home” for Christmas. Or everyone already has plans because December is the busiest month for EVERYONE.

What’s a girl to do?

Have a party anyways when I want and whoever shows up shows up?

Wait until January to have a post birthday celebration? Meh… by then the excitement is already worn off.

Not have a party of any sort?

It’s always a dilemma every year. This year I thought I would think about it early to hopefully have people be able to attend. But now its just stressing me out earlier than normal.

This year will be my 29th. So I will try my best not to fret about it too much. But next year… I’m sending out invitations in July…



5 comments:

Eli said...

My Birthday is December 21st so I'm relating to this post on every level!

Angela Tolsma said...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm on the 31st completely sucks. But what's a girl to do

Anonymous said...

What about having it on the 20th of November every year? Or the 1st of Dec? Any time you want it basically.

terra said...

I've always felt for those with December birthdays. Seems like a raw deal. Caryn's is the 24th so I'm sure she feels your pain.

Caryn said...

Ha! Terra beat me to it! She is right, I feel your pain. Having a xmas eve birthday is the worst. All my Jewish friends are either at this annual jewish bash (although I am jewish, it is just too much for me), or on vacation and my catholic friends have gone home to celebrate xmas or are in church. I usually celebrate the second weekend in January because no one wants to celebrate the weekend after New Years, but you are right, the excitement fades by then. I haven't even given this year much thought. We should just switch and celebrate our half birthdays! Together!