Monday, June 27, 2011

There are signs everywhere... pay attention to them.

Yesterday was a rough day for me emotionally as it is every year (read yesterdays post to understand why). I went to church in the morning for my best friends baby's christening and then after that I called my family to see what they were doing. My parents and grandparents were outside of the city visiting the accident where my sister passed (I have never been out there to this day and I don't plan on it anytime soon, she didn't LIVE there so I feel I have no need to see it, also... I don't want to see the place she died, I think that image would haunt me forever) so I made plans to have dinner with them when they came back into town. This left me with a few hours to kill on a Sunday afternoon alone. I decided to go to the mall.

I was in a store trying on a whole bunch of pants and getting really frustrated because nothing was fitting right. After what was probably the 15th pair I got flustered and threw them on the bench and said to myself "Why am I even here??? Why am I in this stupid change room??"

Weird right? Who asks themselves "Why am I in this change room?"

I started putting my own clothes back on when I saw something shiny stuck between the bench cushion and the mirror. I picked it up and it was a loonie (that's a $1.00 Canadian coin for you American readers). I didn't think much of it and put it in my wallet. As I was putting my wallet back in my purse I stopped, hand still on the wallet, and had this strange feeling come over me that I NEEDED to look at the coin. It almost felt like there was a hand or something stopping me from taking my hand back out of my purse.

Now, I have heard many times that coins can be a sign from "the other side" but never had any situations before that made me believe it... until yesterday. (google coins from heaven if you have never of heard of this before)

I took my wallet back out of my purse and took the coin out to look at it.

The year on the coin was the year my sister was born, 1987.

I sat and looked at it for a few minutes and realized... that's why I'm in this change room. My sister knew how much I was missing her and she needed to remind me that she's still here watching over me.

I called my mom right away and cried.

Believe what you want, but in my heart I know the significance of it. Also... I am keeping that coin in a separate pocket of my wallet and I never plan on spending it.

6 comments:

Angela Tolsma said...

hugs
I'm glad your holding onto the coin. I would too

Unknown said...

What a lovely story - I'm sorry for your loss, but happy that you took some solace from it in the end. I totally believe that sometimes we get messages that are meant to make us feel better, and I'm glad that you got one. I'm sure your sister is watching over you

terra said...

I believe in things like this 100%. To me, that was your sister letting you know she loves you, that she's there, still, watching over you.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but so glad that she's still there reminding you of her love.

Kelly L said...

Aww, a million hugs for you. I understand not wanting to revisit the place where she died. One of my best friends was killed five years ago and for the longest time, I avoided that highway. I would drive a half hour out of my way to get to the other major highway just so I didn't have to drive on That One. Even now, I don't know the exact spot, and I don't want to.

I fully believe that you are right - there are signs and that coin is definitely one of them. I'm glad you are keeping it.

Rachel said...

Hugs for you girly. XO

Anonymous said...

Those feelings are so strange and yet so wonderful at the same time. I'm so glad your sister is still looking out for you! Nearly drew a tear from me...