Friday, October 1, 2010

Sober October


Every now and then we need to clear our minds and our bodies and basically get our selves back in order. 

Its October 1st. The start of a new month. The perfect time to hit refresh. 

One of my best friends decided she was going not going drink for all of October. With all of the stress I have been under over the last month or so (not to mention the emotional breakdowns) my first thought when she told me that was "there is no way I can do that right now!" Not because I drink a lot at all, just because the thought of going out and having a few (or 8) drinks to unwind on the weekends sounded perfect. 

But then I thought about it and drowning my problems in Gin is not the answer. Facing my "stress" head on, clear minded and not distracted is the answer. Its time to let it all come to the surface instead of suppressing my stress and it all boiling over in ridiculous emotions out bursts. 

So... I decided to join her in what has been dubbed Sober October. 

Its not the non drinking that I am worried about, its the decisions that I am hoping to make over the next month or so and all the deep thinking I plan on doing. 

My wallet, liver and future plans are thanking me already. 

8 comments:

Angela Tolsma said...

Interesting idea.. Good Luck

Leesha-Rae said...

Woohoo!!! Let's go see a movie soon, shall we???

Alyssa said...

In Australia its called "ocsober" one of the big charities encourages people to give up alcohol for October, its a great idea before the silly season starts!

Hope your month goes okay with out it :) x

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you wrote about.
I also agree with Alicia - movies will have to get us through out Saturday nights. And walks, and dinner, and free yoga nights!!

We're doing a good thing. Keep telling yourself that!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you wrote about.
I also agree with Alicia - movies will have to get us through out Saturday nights. And walks, and dinner, and free yoga nights!!

We're doing a good thing. Keep telling yourself that!

Rachel said...

You can do it, girly. I would say yes to doing this with you, but it's my birthday month and I think I want to have a beverage on my birthday :)

ÄsK AliCë said...

Good plan!

What do you do about Halloween though? That would be my day to celebrate the fact that I made it the month without a drink!

rachaelgking said...

I tried something similar... failed miserably though. There's too much fun going on! Hope you did better than me :-)