Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The time I watched all the movies Oscar Nominated for Best Picture and then gave my reviews on them. (Part 2)

Let's continue, shall we?


American Hustle 
Cast: Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner
Brief Plot Description: This group eventually comes together to con people and steal their money.
My Thoughts: What... a... disappointment. Maybe I expected too much from this movie because of the cast (I mean, hello... Jennifer Lawrence is totally my girl crush right now! And Bradley Cooper, he stole my heart in Silver Linings Playbook last year) but this just didn't work. There were good elements of this movie like the fashion (holy plunging necklines batman) and Jennifer Lawrence (she can do no wrong) and the scene with Christian Bale's combover, but the rest was lacking. I was actually so bored in this movie that I wasn't even paying attention anymore and instead played Candy Crush on my phone. For a movie that has SUCH a great cast... it should have kept me pulled in more than it did. Its not the WORST on the list but its absolutely in the bottom few.


Her
Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Scarlett Johansson
Brief Plot Description: A lame ass loser falls in love with his phones operating system.
My Thoughts: When I saw previews for this movie I thought it was the most ridiculous and stupid concept I had ever heard. I tried to have an open mind when I watched it, and I hoped I would connect with the story and understand his infatuation but my prediction was dead on. This WAS the most ridiculous and stupid concept ever. I couldn't comprehend the fact that this guy was seriously having a relationship with his Siri. I had to turn it off. I got about 45 minutes in and I couldn't take it anymore. Absolutely the WORST on the list. I don't know why its nominated for any awards at all. Don't even bother.


Dallas Buyers Club
Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, Jennifer Garner
Brief Plot Description: In the 80's, a man is diagnosed with AIDS and eventually finds ways of bringing unapproved medications (that actually help) to fellow patients.
My Thoughts: This was the first of two AWESOME surprises this year. I didn't know what this movie was about going into it and boy was I pleasantly surprised. Matthew McConaughey was fan-tas-tic. He took this role and put every bit of his energy into it. And then there was Jared Leto who, when you were watching him, you completely saw a different person than the face we all know in hollywood. I laughed in this movie, I cried, I felt angry and upset and happy and all of the emotions that they want you to feel. These two were superb and 100% deserve all nominations as well as the nomination for Best Picture. I don't think it will win the actual award for Best Picture but if it does win, I wont be disappointed at all. Go watch this movie and thank me later.

Reviews coming up in the next (and last) post on this topic:
Wolf of Wall Street
Philomena
Nebraska
(and a recap of who I believe should win)

1 comment:

Iron Criterion said...

It's been a pretty terrible year for films so far.

Wolfe of Wall Street was pretty good though.